Journal of Medical and Biological Science
Research Paper|Published December 2021|Vol. 7 (4):19-25.
Evaluation Of In Vitro Antioxidant, Phytochemical and Gc-Ms Analysis of Aqueous Extract of Solanum Dasyphyllum Fruits
Otor Matthew1*, Akpojosevbe James2, Itodo Akogwu2, Tosin Fabunmi1, Ofikwu Idoko1, Bakare Ebun1, Zainab Mohammad2, Otor Dorathy3
1Biochemistry division National veterinary research institute, PMB 01 Vom, Plateau State, Nigeria.
2Drug development division National veterinary research institute, PMB 01 Vom, Plateau State, Nigeria.
3Department of general study, Federal College of Animal Health and production Technology, Vom, Plateau State, Nigeria.
Phytochemicals, antioxidant and the bioactive compounds present in the fruits of Solanum dasyphullum was investigated. Several phytochemicals such as saponins, tannins, alkaloids, flavonoids, steroids and cardiac glycosides were detected. A total of 172 compounds were identified by GC-MS. Phenols, spermine, 2, 5- dimethylfuran and 2-methyl-1-hexadecanol were all identified. These compounds are known to have antioxidant property which may be responsible for the antioxidant property of the fruit extract. It was observed that the fruits extract exhibit antioxidant properties. The scavenging activity increases with the concentration of the extract with the following percentage scavenging activity; 200µg(90%),133µg (78%), 100 µg(69%), 67 µg(48), 33 µg(26.7%), 20 µg(18), 7 µg(7%). Compounds identified in the fruits of Solanum dasyphylum can be isolated and used as an antioxidant.
Keywords: Solanum dasyphylum, oxidation, antioxidant and extracts.
- Journal of Agricultural Science and Food Technology (JASFT)
- Journal of Medical and Biological Science Research (JMBSR)
- Journal of Scientific Research and Essays (JSRE)
- Research Journal of Educational Studies and Review (RJESR)
- Journal of Physical Science and Environmental Studies (JPSES)
- Research Journal of Engineering and Technology (RJET)
- Pearl Journal of Management, Social Science and Humanities (PJMSSH)